What is copper deficiency?

Copper deficiency is a condition in which the copper level is below acceptable limits, and it is very rare. However, when it happens, it can cause serious health problems. Without enough of this essential mineral, you may suffer from bone, muscle and nerve damage. Premature and severely undernourished infants run a higher risk of not absorbing enough copper. Babies with bad diarrhea also may be at risk for the problem. In addition, some baby boys inherit a condition called Menkes syndrome, which causes copper deficiency.

As for adults, you can also have copper deficiency if your body doesn't absorb enough copper. A number of health conditions may cause this problem, including celiac disease and Crohn's disease. Getting too much zinc may also cause you to be copper deficient.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Should I let my doctor know I take cobalt?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible inte...
What is boron?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Boron is a naturally occurring trace element found in soil, plants, and metal deposits. Trace elemen...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young