Is it safe for breastfeeding women to take ferrous salt?

Breastfeeding mothers pass on the iron in their own bodies to their babies. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), infants should be   exclusively breast-fed for the first six months of life. It’s not known if ferrous salt passes through in the breast milk. It’s also not clear if it can harm nursing babies. Breastfeeding mothers should talk with their doctors before taking ferrous salt. If babies need more iron, iron-fortified baby formulas are available. Mothers also can gradually introduce iron-enriched solid foods while still breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What are non-essential minerals?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The non-essential minerals are minerals that are not required for human nutrition. In fact, many of ...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young