How much zinc do I need per day?

Take no more than 30 milligrams (mg) daily. (If you take 6 of the zinc cough drops -- the recommended max per day -- that's 80 mg). The recommended daily allowance (RDA) is just 15 mg for men and just 12 mg for women -- the recent nutrition panel of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommended that the daily recommended value of zinc be decreased to 6 mg. More than that can be harmful. For example, taking just 50 to 75 mg a day can actually reduce your high-density lipoprotein or HDL (healthy) cholesterol, which is something you want to avoid.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Why should I consume the right amount of trace minerals?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Too much of one trace mineral can cause or contribute to a deficiency of another; for example, a min...
What foods contain boron?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Fruits, vegetables, and nuts are excellent sources of boron. Avocados are particularly rich in this ...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young