How much zinc do I need per day?

Take no more than 30 milligrams (mg) daily. (If you take 6 of the zinc cough drops -- the recommended max per day -- that's 80 mg). The recommended daily allowance (RDA) is just 15 mg for men and just 12 mg for women -- the recent nutrition panel of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommended that the daily recommended value of zinc be decreased to 6 mg. More than that can be harmful. For example, taking just 50 to 75 mg a day can actually reduce your high-density lipoprotein or HDL (healthy) cholesterol, which is something you want to avoid.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
Why does my body need minerals?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Minerals are an inorganic substance that are essential for human life. They also plays a role in m...
What minerals play an active role in bone health?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Several minerals play an active role in the absorption of calcium, its metabolism, and bone deve...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young