How much ferrous sulfate should I take?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Your dose of ferrous sulfate may depend on your reasons for taking this supplement. You should discuss the proper dose with your doctor. Iron supplements should be dosed in milligrams of elemental iron per dose. Different ferrous salts (ferrous sulfate, ferrous gluconate and ferrous fumerate) have different amounts if elemental iron per milligrams of the compound. Here are some guidelines for daily recommended doses of elemental iron:

• Male adults, 19 to 50 years old, should take 8 mg. daily
  • Female adults, 19 to 50 years, should take 18 mg. daily
  • Adults 51 years and older should take eight mg. daily
  • Pregnant women, ages 14 to 50 years, should take 30 mg. daily
  • Breastfeeding women, ages 19 to 50 years, should take 9 mg. daily

For treating iron deficiency anemia, the dose is higher: 50 mg. to 100 mg. of elemental iron per day in divided doses.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
How does cobalt affect the body?
Cobalt is used in the body to help absorb and process vitamin B12. In addition, cobalt helps tre...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young