How much calcium do I need per day if I exercise?

Some studies warn that people who exercise vigorously need to get proper amounts of calcium -- 1,000 to 1,600 mg a day -- to ensure that enough calcium is available for the bones to build density. During intense training, large amounts of calcium are lost through perspiration. For every hour of exercise you do, add 200 mg more calcium that day. For every 12-ounce can of caffeinated beverage such as Diet Coca-Cola, and for every 4-ounce cup of coffee, add 20 mg more calcium a day.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
At what age should I start taking iron supplements?
Talk to your doctor to determine if you need iron supplements. People who may need supplements inclu...
Why does my body need minerals?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Minerals are an inorganic substance that are essential for human life. They also plays a role in m...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young