How much calcium do I need to keep my bones healthy?

To keep your bones young, consume 1,200 mg of calcium daily in food or supplements if you are a woman, or 1,000 mg daily if you are a man. Take an additional 400 mg if your calendar age is over 60, and 20 mg for each 12-ounce can of caffeinated soda and 4-ounces of coffee you drink. However, do not take more than 600 mg of calcium at one time, as the body's ability to absorb calcium optimally decreases when the dose is higher than this.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
What are good sources of iron for vegetarians?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
The following foods are vegetarian-friendly sources of iron: Dried beans Dark green vegetables s...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young