How much calcium do I need to keep my bones healthy?

To keep your bones young, consume 1,200 mg of calcium daily in food or supplements if you are a woman, or 1,000 mg daily if you are a man. Take an additional 400 mg if your calendar age is over 60, and 20 mg for each 12-ounce can of caffeinated soda and 4-ounces of coffee you drink. However, do not take more than 600 mg of calcium at one time, as the body's ability to absorb calcium optimally decreases when the dose is higher than this.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Why should I consume the right amount of trace minerals?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Too much of one trace mineral can cause or contribute to a deficiency of another; for example, a min...
How are minerals categorized?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Minerals are classified into two categories: major and minor. This classification is determined by t...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young