Why is it important to get enough zinc when I'm pregnant?

Zinc is essential for the normal development of the fetus and placenta during pregnancy. Zinc deficiency has been linked to neural tube defects and certain kinds of retardation and learning impairments. (Note: Although sufficient iron is important during pregnancy, supplementation with large amounts of iron can interfere with the absorption of zinc.) Top zinc sources include Alaskan king crab, white beans and lentils.
Low levels of zinc have been shown to be related to increased birth defects, low birth rate, miscarriage, and even behavior problems.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
Why should pregnant women and young children limit mercury consumption?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Because fetuses and young children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of mercury, it is part...
What is the role of boron in my body?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Boron, a mineral plentiful in fruits and vegetables, appears to play an active role in the metabolis...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young