Why is it important to get enough zinc when I'm pregnant?

Zinc is essential for the normal development of the fetus and placenta during pregnancy. Zinc deficiency has been linked to neural tube defects and certain kinds of retardation and learning impairments. (Note: Although sufficient iron is important during pregnancy, supplementation with large amounts of iron can interfere with the absorption of zinc.) Top zinc sources include Alaskan king crab, white beans and lentils.
Low levels of zinc have been shown to be related to increased birth defects, low birth rate, miscarriage, and even behavior problems.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
What are micronutrients?
Micronutrients are all the vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and other chemicals we need in small ...
What does cobalt do?
Working with vitamin B12, cobalt helps regulate and stimulate the body to produce certain enzyme...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young