What is chromium used for?

Your body needs chromium as part of the complex mechanisms that help your body use fats, carbohydrates, and protein. Chromium forms part of the natural compound glucose tolerance factor (GTF), which helps regulate how the hormone insulin maintains your blood sugar levels. The exact role of chromium in your metabolism and insulin production is still not fully understood, although researchers know it is necessary.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What can happen if I consume too much sodium or phosphorus?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Having too much of one major mineral can result in a deficiency of another. Calcium binds with exces...
What is the role of boron in my body?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Boron, a mineral plentiful in fruits and vegetables, appears to play an active role in the metabolis...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young