How can I learn mindfulness meditation?

UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Find a quiet place in your home and sit down on a chair. No need to be in any special posture except to keep your back upright. Your eyes can be closed or open, but not looking all around.
Begin by finding your breath in your body. Where do you feel it moving through your abdomen, chest, or nostrils? Feel the breath. Don’t try to change it, lengthen or shorten it. Simply feel it. See if you can sustain your attention on one breath after the next. As you do it you will likely notice your mind wandering away from the breath. This is completely normal. When you have noticed that your mind has wandered, simply redirect your attention back to your breathing.  Continue this for five minutes per day. Increase the length of time you practice as you feel drawn. For guided instructions click here: http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

How can I practice mindfulness in my everyday life?
UCLA Mindful Awareness Research CenterUCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
Mindfulness can be practiced at any moment in the day. It involves bringing your attention to the pr...
What is a mind worker?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
"Mind" workers are healthcare professionals who can help relieve your mental stress. Mostly through ...
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?