How can imagery help me?

Imagery and symbolism can help people cope with things that bother them in life. For example, parents in the Ojibwa Nation would hang dream catchers above their children's beds. The dream catcher was thought to trap bad dreams in the web that formed its center; good dreams would be allowed to flow down its feathers to the sleeping child. Then, in the morning, the sunlight would destroy the bad dreams that were caught in the web.

Another example of symbolic imagery is the "Wish-Giving Tree" in Shenzhen, China. Legend has it that in 1410, Tianhou, goddess of the sea, miraculously rescued the explorer Admiral Zheng. Tianhou later appeared to Zheng in a dream and instructed him to build a temple in her honor. A tree that was planted in the temple's courtyard still stands today, and people write down their problems on red slips of paper, which they attach to the tree.

This tree or a dream catcher don't literally take away problems, but they do release them symbolically, which is a wonderful way to cope.
The Anger Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anger and Frustration (Instant Help)

Do you often find yourself in trouble because of anger? Do you react to situations and later regret how you behaved? Does your anger cause problems with other people? Are you tired of letting anger...
If you have anxiety or depression, imagery may help decrease it. Imagery, along with other treatments, may also help decrease your pain. It may be used to help you sleep. Imagery is often used in sports to help a person perform at their best.

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Chair Yoga: Maintaining Your Comfort Zone
Photo Credit: Vincent Gallegos, via Flickr Creative Commons To stay true to your needs during your yoga postures, you may need more support than just...
Can my child or teen use mindfulness to deal with low self-esteem?
Gina M. BiegelGina M. Biegel
Children and teens can harbor negative thoughts about themselves that lead to low self-esteem. I...
What does inner healing involve?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Inner healing involves moving from darkness to the light. "Light" is a word that has different meani...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?