Does Tai Chi help prevent falls in the elderly?

Research has confirmed the impact of using Tai Chi for fall reduction. In a study of seniors from ages 70 to 92, participants practiced Tai Chi three times per week, and were compared to a stretching control group for a period of six months. The number of falls was dramatically fewer (46% compared to 28%) in the Tai Chi group, and there were also fewer falls that led to injuries (18% compared to 7%). Additionally, Tai Chi participants experienced greater functional balance, physical performance and decreased fear of falling.

Continue Learning about Mind/Body Exercise

Finding Your Place on the Mat
Finding Your Place on the Mat
You don't have to jump up and down like you're on a pogo stick to get fit. There are kinder, gentler ways to exercise, and these methods hail from the...
How do I perform cleansing exercises?
Some yoga poses can help with cleansing the body via stimulation of digestion, relaxation of the dia...
Should I worry about taking a yoga or barre class if I have a bad knee?
You should always use precaution whenever engaging in an exercise class if you have a bad knee. The ...
Beth Oliver - Yoga Practice Moves - Week 06