What is acidophilus cultured milk?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Acidophilus cultured milk is pasteurized or ultra pasteurized milk, usually reduced-fat or nonfat, cultured with Lactobacillus acidophilus. Reduced-fat acidophilus milk (2 percent or 1.5 percent milk fat) must have at least 25 percent reduction in total fat as compared to the regular product. Low fat acidophilus cultured milk can have no more than 3 grams of total fat per serving, whereas nonfat acidophilus cultured milk must contain less than 0.5 gram of fat per serving. Acidophilus milk is not easily distinguished from regular milk.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Milk & Health

The Perfect Postworkout Treat
The Perfect Postworkout Treat
For a postworkout drink that helps you trim, tone, and rehydrate, look to this childhood fave: milk. A study of weight lifters suggested that the bev...
Who is at risk of getting sick from raw milk?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Babies, the elderly or the immunosuppressed are most at risk for getting sick from raw (unpasteurize...
How can I include milk in my diet?
Keri GansKeri Gans
Here are some ways you include more milk in your diet: Switch from whole milk to lower fat varie...
Build Muscle Mass With This Protein
Build Muscle Mass With This Protein