What harmful bacteria are found in raw milk?

Raw milk (milk that has not been pasteurized to kill harmful germs including bacteria, viruses, and parasites) can cause serious infections. Raw milk and raw milk products (such as cheeses and yogurts made with raw milk) can be contaminated with bacteria that can cause serious illness, hospitalization, or death. These harmful bacteria include, but are not limited to, Brucella, Campylobacter, Listeria, Mycobacterium bovis, Salmonella, Shiga toxin-producing E. coli, Shigella, Streptococcus pyogenes, and Yersinia enterocolitica. From 1998 through 2009, 93 outbreaks due to consumption of raw milk or raw milk products were reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). These resulted in 1,837 illnesses, 195 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths. Because not all cases of foodborne illness are recognized and reported, the actual number of illnesses associated with raw milk likely is greater.

Continue Learning about Milk & Health

Drink Up for Better Bones
Drink Up for Better Bones
Know which drink the YOU Docs recommend for better bones? Hint: It's not milk. Well, not regular milk, anyway. In their book YOU: Staying Young, RealA...
How common are raw milk-related illness?
States that allow the legal sale of raw milk (milk that has not been pasteurized to kill harmful ger...
How can I include milk in my diet?
Keri GansKeri Gans
Here are some ways you include more milk in your diet: Switch from whole milk to lower fat varie...
Is Milk Good for You?
Is Milk Good for You?