How can alcohol affect migraines?

Alcohol can worsen migraines. In this video, Adel Olshansky, MD, a neurologist at West Hills Hospital, describes how alcohol can affect the body's chemistry, causing or worsening migraines.
Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Alcohol is a common trigger of migraine. Beer and red wine are the most commonly identified triggers. Clear alcohols such as vodka and gin seem less likely to trigger attacks but can still do so.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Causes

What causes postdrome phase?
The postdrome phase occurs as the very last phase of a migraine headache. The migraine is initiated ...
Why do I get headaches during my menstrual period?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Estrogen and other hormones increase and then begin to cycle at puberty, resulting in a surge in...
What's the Difference Between a Headache and a Migraine?
If I Have Consistent Migraines, Is There Any Fear of Something Worse Like a Brain Tumor?