Why does my child need ear tubes?

Many, many kids between the ages of six months and two years get middle ear infections (otitis media). These infections are often treated with antibiotics, but if your child has repeated infections or starts to have hearing, speech, or developmental delays due to persistent fluid behind the eardrum, your pediatrician may recommend ear tube surgery. I recently read that two million tubes are placed in children in the U.S. every year, and that figure doesn’t shock me. It’s an extremely common procedure. Placing small “tympanostomy tubes” in the eardrums helps equalize the pressure between the middle ear and the outer ear, which allows fluid or pus to drain out and relieves pressure and pain. While the tubes have to be inserted under general anesthesia, the whole process only takes about ten to fifteen minutes, and there’s a good chance that your child will recover easily and leave the hospital in just a few hours.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Middle Ear Infection in Children

What's the difference between a middle and outer ear infection in my child?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
A middle ear infection (otitis media) occurs when fluid becomes infected behind the eardrum. This ty...
What causes a middle ear infection in children?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
A middle ear infection is caused by a bacteria (germ) or virus. It happens in the space behind the e...
What causes ear infections in babies?
Woodrow C. Marriott, MDWoodrow C. Marriott, MD
In the first year of life, the most common age for getting ear infections is approximately 9 mon...
When Should I Take a Child to the Doctor for an Ear Infection?