What is Glumetza (metformin)?

Glumetza (metformin) is an oral medication that is used to manage Type 2 diabetes in adults. When used in combination with diet and exercise, Glumetza can help control blood sugar (glucose) levels. This medication works by decreasing the amount of sugar made by your liver, decreasing the amount of sugar absorbed by your intestines, and helping your body respond to insulin in general. It may be used alone or in conjunction with other medications or insulin. However, some serious risks are associated with taking Glumetza, most importantly the risk for a rare but potentially-fatal condition called lactic acidosis, which is a buildup of acid in the blood. Talk to your doctor to determine whether Glumetza is right for you.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
What is the right dose of taking Metformin if my blood sugar is increasing?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Was it Shakespeare that said “a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client?” Regardless, I ...
Do I always have to take metformin with food?
You should always take your metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) with a meal, unless your doctor has g...
Do I have to monitor my blood glucose levels if I am on metformin?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I very strongly feel that everyone with diabetes should be ...