If I'm going to have surgery, can I keep taking my metformin?

If you are going to have surgery, talk to your doctor about whether you can keep taking metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) to control your blood sugar levels. He may have you stop taking this medication for a little while. Also let your doctor know if you're going to have an X-ray in which a dye will be injected. Your doctor may have you stop taking your medication for this procedure as well.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Does metformin cause kidney damage?
Metformin by itself is unlikeley to cause kidney damage, but it is known to be excreted by the k...
Am I likely to get lactic acidosis from taking metformin?
Lactic acidosis -- a buildup of lactic acid in the body -- is a rare complication of taking metfor...
Can I take metformin with insulin for my type 2 diabetes?
Metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) is a prescription medication that helps to control blood sugar le...