What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?

If you miss a dose of metformin, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Do not take extra medication. This medication requires that you maintain a schedule of taking your medication for it to be effective.

You want your glucose readings to go down and not up when you are treating diabetes. Don't skip a day, these medications are prescribed to be taken daily. You may want to speak with your doctor to follow up if your glucose values don't go down.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
Can the diabetes drug metformin reduce the risk of prostate cancer?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
Some studies have shown that men with diabetes are less likely to develop prostate cancer than the g...
Why is metformin a key medication for people with diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
For many years, the first-line medication for Type-2 Diabetes has been the pill called metformin...
What should I know about metformin before taking it?
Your doctor will need to test your kidney function before starting treatment. Patients who take met...