What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?

You want your glucose readings to go down and not up when you are treating diabetes. Don't skip a day, these medications are prescribed to be taken daily. You may want to speak with your doctor to follow up if your glucose values don't go down.

If you miss a dose of metformin, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Do not take extra medication. This medication requires that you maintain a schedule of taking your medication for it to be effective.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Who should take metformin?
People with type 2 diabetes who have not been able to control their condition through diet and e...
If I'm going to have surgery, can I keep taking my metformin?
If you are going to have surgery, talk to your doctor about whether you can keep taking metformin ...
Can people with type 1 diabetes take metformin?
People with type 1 diabetes should not take metformin. This prescription medication for controllin...