If I get dehydrated, can I keep taking my metformin?

If you become dehydrated while on metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a drug used to treat type 2 diabetes, you may need to stop taking the drug temporarily. a, a buildup of lactic acid in the bloodstream that can be very serious -- and sometimes even cause death. Call your doctor right away if you've been sick with vomiting and/or diarrhea, or if you've been drinking less fluid than usual. He or she will tell you if you need to stop taking your medicine.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?
MediGuardMediGuard
You want your glucose readings to go down and not up when you are treating diabetes. Don't skip a da...
Is metformin safe for long term use?
Most people have mild side effects with metformin. This drug is safe for long term use; however ...
How does metformin interact with other medications or foods?
Medications that interact with metformin include digoxin, cimetidine, furosemide, nifedipine, am...