Is there a generic version of metformin?

Yes, metformin is a generic version of brand names Glucophage, Fortamet, Glumetza and Riomet. It is also one of the ingredients in the following combination medications: Actoplus Met, Actoplus Met XR, Avandamet, Glucovance, Glumetza, Janumet, Metaglip, Prandimet, glipizide-metformin, glucophage-metformin and others. Your doctor will determine which version is right for you.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Is my metformin tablet working if it sometimes shows up in the toilet?
If you're taking extended-release metformin tablets for type 2 diabetes, the shell of the tablet m...
How does metformin (Glucophage) help treat type 2 diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Metformin is an oral medicine used to treat type 2 diabetes. It lowers blood glucose by reducing...
What should I know about metformin before taking it?
Your doctor will need to test your kidney function before starting treatment. Patients who take met...