How does skipping a meal affect my metabolism?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

One of the most important things you can do to ensure that your body burns a significant number of calories as heat is to spread your calories throughout the day. Skipping meals lowers your resting metabolism and makes it more likely that your body will store the extra calories eaten later as fat. A low-glycemic impact, high-protein breakfast is the most important food of the day. When you skip breakfast, you are telling your body that you are starving today and your metabolic rate will likely be lower for the rest of the day. When you start the day with a hearty breakfast, you are telling your body that there is plenty of food, so it tends to expend more of the calories you eat that day as heat. It is also important to follow breakfast with healthy snacks, lunches, and a relatively light evening meal.

Hunger Free Forever: The New Science of Appetite Control

From two leading authorities on appetite control, obesity, natural medicine, and food comes a breakthrough in getting healthy and staying slim without starving.Millions have spent years searching for...

Continue Learning about Metabolism and Weight Loss

The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
Chances are, you were told as a kid to chew your food slowly so you didn't choke. Well, now there’s a new reason to chew your food. Eating fast makes ...
Does my body burn calories while I sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A 2009 study conducted in Sao Paulo, Brazil, found that while sleeping you burn three times more...
Are there any all natural supplements to speed metabolism and weight loss?
Caroline M. Apovian, MDCaroline M. Apovian, MD
There are plenty of natural supplements that promise to help you lose weight -- but are they saf...
Why Do Some People Stay Skinny?
Why Do Some People Stay Skinny?