How does sitting affect my metabolism?

You may be busting your hump in the gym after work, but those nine hours sitting at your computer are going to catch up with you. Researchers at the University of Missouri recently showed that prolonged periods of sitting lead to the body substantially decreasing production of the enzyme lipase, which helps break down fat. Being a desk ornament is something the body is not used to. It accommodates by storing fat, and it becomes very efficient at storing calories. Your metabolism just drops. Any time you can get up, move around, take some stairs, or get out and take a few deep breaths, do so.

Unless you're a pilot on a transatlantic flight, get up, get out, and get your blood moving on a consistent basis.

Continue Learning about Metabolism and Weight Loss

How to Hack Your Metabolism for Weight Loss
At a fundamental level, weight loss comes down to a simple formula: reduce your calorie intake, increase your activity level, and you’ll start to see ...
How does metabolism influence weight loss?
Caroline M. Apovian, MDCaroline M. Apovian, MD
Did you know that your metabolism changes as you age?  This process begins for most of us around age...
How does skipping a meal affect my metabolism?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
One of the most important things you can do to ensure that your body burns a significant number of c...
How Does Metabolism Influence Weight Loss?