What foods can help me boost my metabolism?

Brooke Alpert, MS, RD
Some important metabolism-boosting foods include spices (cayenne pepper, ginger, turmeric), and whole foods that contain protein and fiber. In this video, I will share her favorite foods for revving up your metabolism.
Leopold D. Galland, MD
Choose foods that give you the most flavor and nutritional value for the calories you consume. These foods are rich in one or more of the dietary elements that help your metabolism, such as vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. Foods with appetite-satisfying flavor and lots of nutrition top the list, such as blueberries, tomatoes, ginger, onions, and fresh herbs.
What I consider to be your metabolism is your resting metabolic rate. This rate is the amount of calories that your body burns to perform basic metabolic functions. Just resting your body burns calories and in order to live your body needs fuel to function.

The release of energy at rest is sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, the heart, lungs, nervous system, kidneys, liver, intestine, sex organs, muscles, and skin.

Your body does not need fuel to maintain bodyfat (or very very little fuel) but it needs significantly more fuel to maintain muscle. If your metabolism is dependant on burning extra calories for the above then the only one that can increase in size is your muscle. So if you have more muscle your resting metabolic rate (i.e. metabolism) is increased because your body at rest has to expend more calories.

There are specific exercise and nutritional things that need to happen to increase lean muscle tissue but the pure fact is that your body will burn more calories at rest and require more food if you have more muscle tissue.

Muscle needs calories to function and maintain, fat does not.
Dr. Mark Hyman, MD
Family Medicine
Watch as functional Medicine Specialist and family physician Dr. Mark Hyman talks about the types of foods that can help boost metabolism.
Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
These foods can help you boost your metabolism:
  • Grapefruit. Grapefruit can lower your body’s insulin; high levels of insulin can make you store extra fat.
  • Green tea. Green tea has epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a healthy catechin that speeds up your body’s metabolism and burns more calories.
  • Spicy peppers. The capcaisin found in spicy peppers causes your body to burn calories long after you eat them.
  • Cinnamon. A powerful herb in Chinese medicine. Cinnamon can help you maintain steady blood sugar levels as well as help lower your cholesterol.
  • Broccoli. Broccoli contains two effective ingredients to help boost the metabolism: calcium and vitamin C. Vitamin C helps your body absorb more calcium, which in turn acts as a metabolic trigger.

Continue Learning about Metabolism and Weight Loss

How to Hack Your Metabolism for Weight Loss
At a fundamental level, weight loss comes down to a simple formula: reduce your calorie intake, increase your activity level, and you’ll start to see ...
What causes reduced metabolism in a person who is a chronic dieter?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
The simple answer to this is that over a period of years the yo-yo effect of going on and off of die...
How does skipping a meal affect my metabolism?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
One of the most important things you can do to ensure that your body burns a significant number of c...
How Does the Metabolism Influence Weight Loss?