Does metabolic syndrome X run in families?

The components that make up metabolic syndrome X can run in families. If you have a family history of diabetes, elevated blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, or heart disease then you are at greater risk for metabolic syndrome X. Knowing your family history and getting regular checkups can prevent multiple factors of metabolic syndrome X. Also, if you know that you or your family members are at greater risk because of a family history, encourage the ones you love to get checked out as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome X Causes & Risk Factors

What are risk factors for metabolic syndrome?
Melissa B. Bagloo, MDMelissa B. Bagloo, MD
The biggest risk factor is obesity. Patients who are obese are at a much higher risk of developing m...
What increases my risk for metabolic syndrome?
Risk for metabolic syndrome X is increased by genetic predisposition, age, gender, medical history, ...
What does it mean to be apple shaped in relation to metabolic syndrome X?
In relation to metabolic syndrome X, the term "apple shaped" refers to carrying your weight around t...
Does metabolic syndrome have anything to do with my weight?
Metabolic syndrome is becoming more and more common in the United States and researchers are trying ...