What causes hypokalemia?

Hypokalemia is not usually caused by a diet deficient in potassium. Commonly, too much potassium is lost through urination or through the digestive system due to diuretics (water pills) that cause water containing potassium to be expelled in the urine; diarrhea or vomiting; overuse of laxatives; kidney disease; bulimia and other eating disorders; adrenal gland diseases such as Cushings syndrome; and some antibiotics. Hypokalemia can result in kidney damage if the body is deficient in potassium for a long period of time.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...