What are the symptoms of hypokalemia?

Symptoms of hypokalemia are usually not detectable unless potassium levels in the blood reach dangerously low levels. Symptoms of this condition include abnormal beating of the heart, constipation, tiredness, weak muscles, rhabdomyolysis (muscle breakdown), and paralysis that can affect the lungs. Some of these symptoms appear more quickly in individuals with heart disease.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...
How does a doctor diagnose amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Symptoms of amyloidosis are frequently vague and appear similar to those of other common diseases sp...