What are metabolic disorders?

Metabolic disorders disrupt the body's ability to make or break down important substances found in food, such as carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. These substances supply the body with energy and enable it to grow and repair itself. When the body has too much or too little of these substances, major health problems can develop. The severity of metabolic disorders can vary, and in some cases, dietary supplements, medications, or special diets can help treat the disorder.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
How to Help Others Understand the Challenges of AHP
Living with acute hepatic porphyria (AHP) can be difficult, especially if your friends and family don't understand the condition. Watch this video wit...
What are the symptoms of severe dehydration?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
It’s vital to catch dehydration early because it doesn’t take long for it to turn into more severe d...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...