How does mercury poisoning affect the body?

Mercury and mercury compounds are neurotoxins, which attack the neurons in the human nervous system, causing damage to the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Mercury poisoning is especially dangerous to the neurological development of fetuses, nursing babies, and children. It also affects the digestive system. Because mercury accumulates in the kidneys, prolonged exposure can cause kidney failure over time. Mercury also irritates the respiratory system by causing damage to the lining of the mouth and the lungs with continued exposure. Contact with the metallic form of mercury can cause skin rashes.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

What is being done about preventing mercury poisoning?
The federal government sets acceptable mercury levels for water, fish and shellfish, grain, the plac...
Does mercury in fish cause health problems?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
While several servings of fish a week can be part of a healthy diet, it is important to ensure that ...
Should I talk to my doctor about mercury poisoning symptoms?
You should absolutely talk to your doctor immediately if you have any symptoms of mercury poisoning....
How can exposure to mercury affect my health?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Caution: That sushi you are eating could be hazardous to your health. Mercury, a naturally occurring...