Can mental retardation be treated with medication?

No specific medications are used to treat all individuals with mental retardation.A team of health professionals will evaluate the individual with the disorder to determine weaknesses and strengths and then provide a plan to maximize the individual's capabilities. Medications may be prescribed for coexisting mental health disorders or physical ailments. These medications will vary.

Continue Learning about Mental Retardation

Why is mental retardation also called intellectual disability?
Many doctors and other health professionals have begun to replace the term "mental retardation" with...
What increases my child's risk for mental retardation?
Alcohol and drug use during pregnancy significantly increase your child's risk for mental retardatio...
How common is mental retardation?
Mental retardation is diagnosed based on intelligence scores and the amount of support needed for no...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mental retardation?
Individuals with MR/ID do best when cared for by a team of professionals including social workers, t...