What is a mental health assessment?

A mental health assessment is usually carried out by your doctor in the office. The doctor evaluates how you are doing overall in your level of functioning. There are many things that are taken into account, such as your ability to think clearly, your memory, your hygiene, your mood and your behavior. The doctor will ask about your family and friends and your social support system. Sometimes, the doctor will order blood or other lab tests.
A mental health assessment can be an important part of a medical examination, especially if you are experiencing symptoms related to mental health, such as feelings of depression, anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive behaviors. During a mental health assessment, your doctor is likely to ask you detailed questions about your symptoms, when they began and how frequent and severe they are. If you have been keeping a symptom diary, you and your doctor might review it during a mental health assessment.

During a mental health assessment your doctor might also ask you questions about any physical symptoms you are having, as well as your medical and mental health history. You might also be asked about whether you take any medications as well as your use of alcohol and other recreational drugs.

Your doctor might also take note of your general appearance, how well-groomed you are and how well you seem to be able to take care of yourself. All of these observations and questions can help your doctor determine the status of your mental health, and whether you need further evaluation or treatment.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Light Up Your Life
Light Up Your Life
Want to have more energy, feel more alert and be happier in general? Try this easy tip: soak up some sunshine. Related: FREE health insights and a wa...
What is cognition?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
Cognition is loosely defined as the mental process of knowing. It includes attention, language funct...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?