What should I know before working with someone with a cognitive impairment?

Individuals with cognitive impairment will vary as widely as those with physical impairments. It is important to understand the abilities of the individual you are working with. The impairment may affect memory, cognition, behavior and a wide variety of physical abilities. Regardless of the extent of the impairment it is important to be patient, understanding and compassionate when working with individuals. Be aware that some individuals may exhibit denial of deficiencies and may try to mask them.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Eat This Breakfast for Mental Well-Being
Eating a good breakfast doesn't just get your body ready to face the day. It may boost your mental well-being, too. Especially if you choose yogurt. ...
How is mental illness treated in people with cancer?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Treatment options for psychiatric problems in people with cancer may include: Psychotherapy (sup...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?