What should I know before working with someone with a cognitive impairment?

Individuals with cognitive impairment will vary as widely as those with physical impairments. It is important to understand the abilities of the individual you are working with. The impairment may affect memory, cognition, behavior and a wide variety of physical abilities. Regardless of the extent of the impairment it is important to be patient, understanding and compassionate when working with individuals. Be aware that some individuals may exhibit denial of deficiencies and may try to mask them.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

A Resource for Moms with Kids Who Have Special Needs
To paraphrase something the actress Allison Janney once said: “If June Cleaver [Barbara Billingsley] made women in the 1950s and 60s feel bad because ...
Can mindfulness help me deal with negative thoughts?
Gina M. BiegelGina M. Biegel
Mindfulness can be a simple and yet effective way to deal with negative thoughts. In this video,...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?