What causes delirium in older adults?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
Being older, having some degree of cognitive impairment, being frail, having a sensory impairment (poor vision or hearing), and being dehydrated or malnourished can predispose a person to delirium. It occurs frequently in patients who have undiagnosed dementia and results in an "unmasking" of the dementia.

Delirium also may be a marker of diminished cognitive reserve, meaning that the brain has a reduced capacity to respond optimally to trauma (such as acute stress) and illness. Many medications can cause delirium, and delirium is associated with a long list of medical problems, including infections, neurological diseases, alcohol withdrawal, and anything that deprives the brain of oxygen, such as respiratory, cardiac and metabolic disorders.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
How do I encourage my aging parent with short-term memory loss?
Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDOluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Adult children who recognize short-term memory loss in their parents must remember that it is up to ...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Can I Stop Worrying?
How Can I Stop Worrying?