How can I raise awareness about mental health issues in my community?

Motivated people can start an initiative, momentum may gather, and perhaps at some point a "champion" may bring additional attention and resources to bear. Survivors of suicide are speaking up; public leaders are beginning to share their own personal stories; and resources for effective programs are emerging. Initiatives in highly targeted, geographically specific areas, which are fertile ground for suicide prevention, are well advised to tailor specific messages and approaches that reflect cultural, age, and gender differences. The media and advocacy groups, ideally in collaboration, can play an important role in reducing the stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness and suicide, and thus in suicide prevention.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

6 Ways to Support a Loved One With Mental Illness
Our understanding of mental illness has come a long way in recent years. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, an estimated 43.7 milli...
Can obesity cause mental health problems?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Psychological disorders which obesity may trigger include depression, eating disorders, distorted bo...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Can I Plan for the Future Without Worrying?