How can peer support help me if I have mental illness?

The term 'peer support' is used in the mental health sector to describe a wide range of programs, but at its core is the idea of one mental health consumer giving support to a fellow consumer.
Peer support programs have been shown to produce better healing outcomes and greater levels of empowerment, increases in social functioning, improvements in quality of life and perceptions of physical and emotional well-being, and increased ability to cope with illness. Through peer support programmes, people are able to meet others who they feel are 'like' them, and they often feel a connection with each other and are able to develop a deep understanding based on their shared experiences.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Hoarding: New Science, Smart Coping
Hoarding: New Science, Smart Coping
Even though they’re buried in their own junk, the hoarders on reality TV shows just seem in need of a couple more trash bags and storage bins to overc...
What is the Dopamine Hypothesis?
Thomas JensenThomas Jensen
One of the earliest hypotheses involving brain chemicals and mental illness was the "Dopamine Hy...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
What Are Preventable Health Outcomes?
What Are Preventable Health Outcomes?