How can peer support help me if I have mental illness?

The term 'peer support' is used in the mental health sector to describe a wide range of programs, but at its core is the idea of one mental health consumer giving support to a fellow consumer.
Peer support programs have been shown to produce better healing outcomes and greater levels of empowerment, increases in social functioning, improvements in quality of life and perceptions of physical and emotional well-being, and increased ability to cope with illness. Through peer support programmes, people are able to meet others who they feel are 'like' them, and they often feel a connection with each other and are able to develop a deep understanding based on their shared experiences.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Light Up Your Life
Light Up Your Life
Want to have more energy, feel more alert and be happier in general? Try this easy tip: soak up some sunshine. Related: FREE health insights and a wa...
Do I have to get along with everyone?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
While it would be lovely if we could get along with everyone all the time, I am sure it cannot be do...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
What Common Addiction Behaviors Fascinate You?