How can I help a person who has become delirious?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
If you are visiting a patient who becomes delirious, notify someone on the medical team immediately and make it clear that this is not the person's regular mental status. Stay with the patient and provide reassurance and reorientation; tell him or her the date, where the patient is and why, and who the people are that come to visit. Make sure the patient is eating and drinking fluids. If the person is in pain, report it. If a patient is agitated, music, massage or reading aloud may have a calming effect. If the patient cannot be calmed, sedating medications may be used judiciously. Keep in mind that a patient with delirium is disoriented, and support from familiar faces can help lessen fear and confusion.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Guilt-Free Ways to Say No
Guilt-Free Ways to Say No
Photo Credit: Martin Howard, via Flickr Creative Commons “Crazy busy” has become the new hip designation for those with packed schedules and over-ext...
How can I live a more honest life?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
When we have lived a life of dishonesty either consciously or unconsciously, we need lots of support...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
What Is a Current Myth Around Mental Illness?