How can I help doctors diagnose my mood disorder?

To help your doctor diagnose your mood disorder it is important to be truthful with your doctor. It is helpful to establish a pattern of mood, thought and behavior. Inform your doctor of past diagnoses and previous successful or failed treatments. It's important that you share any thoughts of suicide or plans for suicide or homicide in order to ensure that you are treated in a safe environment.
Avoid any setbacks in your care by being as honest as you can with your healthcare providers. You can help them determine the exact form of your mood disorder by listing all of the symptoms you currently exhibit as well as those you've had in the past. Since mood disorders commonly run in families, your healthcare providers will also want a list of those in your family who've been diagnosed, as well as those who exhibit the symptoms. Discuss and list family members treated for (or exhibiting symptoms of) "nervous breakdown," alcohol or narcotic abuse.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
Some people just need their alone time, but even the most introverted may eventually suffer health complications. "Humans are highly social mammals,” ...
How can I help a person who has become delirious?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
If you are visiting a patient who becomes delirious, notify someone on the medical team immediat...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
Understanding Addiction and Addictive Behavior