How can I help doctors diagnose my mood disorder?

To help your doctor diagnose your mood disorder it is important to be truthful with your doctor. It is helpful to establish a pattern of mood, thought and behavior. Inform your doctor of past diagnoses and previous successful or failed treatments. It's important that you share any thoughts of suicide or plans for suicide or homicide in order to ensure that you are treated in a safe environment.
Avoid any setbacks in your care by being as honest as you can with your healthcare providers. You can help them determine the exact form of your mood disorder by listing all of the symptoms you currently exhibit as well as those you've had in the past. Since mood disorders commonly run in families, your healthcare providers will also want a list of those in your family who've been diagnosed, as well as those who exhibit the symptoms. Discuss and list family members treated for (or exhibiting symptoms of) "nervous breakdown," alcohol or narcotic abuse.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Vacationing For Well-Being
In May, I took an amazing two-week vacation traveling around Europe. I ate pizza in Rome, wandered through tulip fields in Amsterdam and got starry-ey...
Why should mental health problems be detected early?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Early and accurate detection of mental health problems followed by an appropriate treatment and mana...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
When Do You Decide If a Child Should Go on Medication?