How can I help treat my mood disorder?

Since mood disorders tend to tailor-make their symptoms to each individual, it's important that you become an expert in your own care. Further, becoming an expert in your care helps you feel in control and more self-confident. It's also interesting to read up on these issues! You can become proactive in your treatment. Take charge of your treatment in the following ways:
  • Read and research so you can understand as much about your condition as possible.
  • Write down your medication(s), their dosage(s) and what to do if you forget a dose in each case.
  • Write down all contact information for your healthcare providers as well as the contact people the provider has set up in case he or she cannot be reached.
  • Find out how your medications may interact with each other and with medications you're taking for other issues.
  • Learn about any side effects of your medications and be on the lookout for them.
  • Learn about how any of your medications will affect medical conditions not related to mood.
  • Explore the non-medical treatments that may improve your condition. Exercise, diet changes, social involvement, healthy sleep patterns all contribute to mood.
  • Know if psychotherapy can help your treatment.
  • Be aware of typical problems those undergoing treatment experience.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
Some people just need their alone time, but even the most introverted may eventually suffer health complications. "Humans are highly social mammals,” ...
Where would I get caregiver support for mental health?
Dr. Eboni Green, PhDDr. Eboni Green, PhD
Being mentally well is a vital component of maintaining a caregiver’s health and wellness. Should ...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How to Support a Loved One Who has a Mental Illness