What is the main focus of a support group?

Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine
The main focus of a support group is to provide a forum to practice new behaviors and learn new responses to varying types problems.  It may also allow one to practice looking at and role playing accountability for one's actions or inactions in life. In this way the group member begins to garner new and better coping mechanisms for dealing with whatever problems brought them to the group in the first place.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
Can the need for mental health therapies be avoided?
Mental health therapies are treatment options for mental illnesses and disorders. A mental illness o...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?