How can I better understand my feelings?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine

Feel your feelings initially, without the need to understand why or what you are feeling. When your mind initially attempts to label your feelings, let it know, “No, thank you.” Continue to simply feel the feeling fully without any resistance. Then, when you are toward the end of the feeling, you may find that you not just understand what this episode is about, but also what the deeper root cause behind the feeling is. If you do this without any blame or sense of victimization, it can be a powerful tool for helping you to learn about who you truly are and what your preferences are. Then you can make honest and informed choices in your life that are consistent with who you truly are, instead of who you were told and think that you should be. Feeling your feelings fully then becomes a wonderful step to happiness!

Three Steps to Happiness! Healing Through Joy

Happiness is our natural state of being. It is who we are. This happiness is obvious when you look at little children before they take on society’s beliefs. Their natural state is to feel all of...

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
How can community support help a person with mental illness?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Individual treatment linked to community support can save lives. Stigma and discrimination associate...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?