How could my actions affect how my child reacts to a tragedy in the news?

Michele Borba
Actions speak louder than what you say, so how you act -- especially during times of trauma and uncertainty -- does make a difference on how your kids act. If you are feeling a bit jittery after a tragedy, imagine how our kids must feel. Children mirror our behavior. If you're upset, your child is upset. If you worry about the future of our nation, so does your child. If you're concerned "This could happen here!" or "No one is safe anymore" you will cloud your child's view of the world. Watch what you say.

Continue Learning about Parenting in Troubled Times

Helping Kids Cope with the Tragedy in Connecticut
Dr. Oz and I met privately with some families of Newtown, Connecticut after his show taped today. I shared tips with them about how to help kids in ...
Talking to Kids About Traumas and Disasters
In the movie Into the Storm, a tornado devastates a high school community. As the townspeople work to rebuild their connections, they find hope and se...
How can conflicts between parents affect children?
Bonnie HarrisBonnie Harris
Parents are their children's models in good times and bad. Our children watch us and learn. When par...
How can I help my child feel safe after a tragedy in the news?
Elizabeth U. Ucheoma-Cofield, MDElizabeth U. Ucheoma-Cofield, MD
I think it definitely depends on the proximity of the tragedy to the child. If something happened in...