How could my actions affect how my child reacts to a tragedy in the news?

Michele Borba
Actions speak louder than what you say, so how you act -- especially during times of trauma and uncertainty -- does make a difference on how your kids act. If you are feeling a bit jittery after a tragedy, imagine how our kids must feel. Children mirror our behavior. If you're upset, your child is upset. If you worry about the future of our nation, so does your child. If you're concerned "This could happen here!" or "No one is safe anymore" you will cloud your child's view of the world. Watch what you say.

Continue Learning about Parenting in Troubled Times

5 Ways to Help Kids Feel Safe in an Unsafe World
My oldest daughter was just starting to think about college when a gunman killed 32 people at Virginia Tech. Soon after there were shootings in Crando...
6 Tips for Parenting a Troubled Child
6 Tips for Parenting a Troubled Child
Just when I think I’m coming to terms with the Sandy Hook news, another blog or report comes out and I start tearing up all over again. Here at Sharec...
How can I help my child feel safe after a tragedy in the news?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help your child feel emotionally safe after a tragedy:Anticipate Concerns: Kids zero in on thos...
How can conflicts between parents affect children?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
Conflict is a part of life, and in many marriages it can be part of a daily occurrence. In my de...