What is mental illness?

Thomas Bellinger, MD
Family Medicine

Mental illness from my perspective as a family physician has been shaped from watching a revolution over the last ten years in the understanding and treatment of mood and though disorders through the lens of neuroscience - how the brain works in both health and in illness. From the chemical messenger molecules that are released from one nerve cell (neuron) to another, and how patterns of neurons fire, say from the cortex that processes sensations and emotions and integrates them into thoughts, and from the limbic brain that generates emotions and ties them together with memories and meanings, it has become clear to me that a reasonably happy person utterly depends on some very complicated machinery to stay focused and positive. Conversely, there are many influences that disrupt this mental engine, that cause distortions of perceptions or negative feelings. These in turn cause self-destructive or self-neglecting beliefs, which in turn drastically influence behavior.

With today's understanding of brains and moods and thoughts, more and more psychiatrists and therapists and primary care physicians are able to better diagnose and treat more types of mental illness, regardless of the cause. Therapy can be directed more toward specific targets in the brain and in the environment that push people toward negative perceptions, feelings, beliefs, and then behaviors.  

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Mental illness is a disease of the mind that impacts the psychological status, thereby rendering emotional or behavioral problems serious enough to require psychiatric intervention. 

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

Eating Processed Meats Can Affect Your Mental Health
Beef jerky has been around for centuries (the Conquistadors called the Inca’s dried, smoked llama charqui, from their word ch’arki; in North America i...
Why don't mental health problems get better on their own?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Some mental health problems do get better on their own. Minor depression, for example, might not req...
How can I trick myself into feeling happier?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Adopt what University of California at Riverside psychology professor Sonja Lyubomirsky calls happin...
Can You Stop Addiction with Financial Incentives?