How can I keep my brain active?

Keep your brain active as a perpetual student of life! Take continuing education classes, get a college degree or join an online brain training website. Learn to be a gourmet cook, discover fly fishing, write your memoir or study about the brain! The world is endlessly fascinating for those who never stop learning, and it helps your brain thrive. Get started with these tips: To find your motivation to learn something new, begin by asking yourself, “What gifts do I have to bring to the world that could be lying dormant between my ears?” Then, “What do I dream of doing with my life?” Go ahead, start writing your Bucket List now. Your brain loves activities that hold promise and excitement like this one. Think of books as a college course between two covers. Books are the world’s greatest educational bargains. As a reader, you can learn from the world’s greatest minds -- past and present -- for little cost. You can become an expert at almost anything, at any age! Turn your car into a university on wheels. Purchase, download, or borrow audiobooks on a variety of subjects that pique your interest. Download podcasts (which you can search for on the internet). You’ll turn boring drive times into classrooms of fascinating knowledge! Sharpen your brain by enjoying leisure activities that also keep you thinking.  A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that reading, playing board games, playing musical instruments and dancing were among the best leisure activities for keeping your brain young. When you really want to learn something well, make sure to teach it to someone else. This will dramatically increase your skill and knowledge in a subject within a short period of time.
Dancing is a great way to keep your brain active. Learn more on this topic in this video with Dr. Oz, Naomi Judd, Louis Can Amstel, and Joy Behar.

Some things we can do to keep our brains sharp and prevent memory loss are to be engaged in our activities and social life, eating and sleeping well, and exercising. Watch brain health expert Cynthia Green, PhD, share some tips for staying sharp.

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

An Easy Trick to Strengthen Concentration
The TV game show Concentration ran almost without interruption from 1958 to 1991, until at last its fans became permanently distracted. Not a bad run,...
How can I keep my mind sharp during chronic stress?
AARPAARP
Get support for stressors. You may love your ailing family member, but the chronic stress of facing ...
How is exercise good for the brain?
Mirabai HollandMirabai Holland
Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine suggests that certain types of dance, part...
Brain Yoga
Brain Yoga