What can parents do to prevent or minimize weather anxiety?

Beginning virtually during infancy and the toddler years, parents need to treat weather and weather-related events very matter of factly.  Sitting in the garage or under the overhang at the front or the back door when it’s raining, or doing any normal activity like breast feeding or reading the baby/toddler a book without talking about the weather, gives a young child the impression that raining is a non-event.  If you live in an area that has bad weather, don’t wait for a hurricane or a tornado to practice seeking shelter.  Rather, try going to your shelter area routinely and doing quiet, restful activities while there, such as homework, board or card games, singing songs, rhymes, etc.  Try to avoid providing your child with verbal reassurance that the weather is not going to hurt them – doing so may only serve to put the idea in their heads that weather will hurt them.  Also, avoid the bad weather alerts on television – watching most of these would make anyone nervous.

For toddlers and preschoolers, during rain and snow, try to conduct yourself like you would during any other day.  No need to take special precautions or to provide verbal reassurances.  The more natural you appear, the less anxious your children will get about the weather.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
What can I do to get my dissociative identity disorder in better control?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The following can help control symptoms of dissociative identity disorder under control:Know your tr...
What’s the difference between adjustment disorder and PTSD?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a psychiatric condition that can occur when you have lived ...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What Is hostess anxiety?