How can I tell if my child or teen has generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)?

All children and adolescents have fears. They may worry about schoolwork, relationships with family or friends, and their talents and abilities. As they grow and mature, these worries change, and they learn how to handle their fears. But for some children and adolescents, anxiety is constant and overwhelming, and interferes with their lives at home, at school, and with friends. They may be anxious about their personal safety or safety of their family members, natural disasters, and world events. Their worries are often not age-appropriate, and unlike adults, they do not recognize -- nor can they control -- this excessive worry. For these children and adolescents, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), one of the most prevalent of the childhood anxiety disorders, is often diagnosed.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
Are there support groups for veterans with adjustment disorder?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Veterans can locate support groups for military-related health issues through the Department of Vete...
What is wealth addiction?
Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDPaul Hokemeyer, PhD
The concept of “wealth addiction” as a psychological disorder is not new. The term was coined in 198...
Are the Drug Therapies for Mental Disorders Getting Better?