How can I tell if my child or teen has generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)?

All children and adolescents have fears. They may worry about schoolwork, relationships with family or friends, and their talents and abilities. As they grow and mature, these worries change, and they learn how to handle their fears. But for some children and adolescents, anxiety is constant and overwhelming, and interferes with their lives at home, at school, and with friends. They may be anxious about their personal safety or safety of their family members, natural disasters, and world events. Their worries are often not age-appropriate, and unlike adults, they do not recognize -- nor can they control -- this excessive worry. For these children and adolescents, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), one of the most prevalent of the childhood anxiety disorders, is often diagnosed.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
What causes adjustment disorder in veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Adjustment disorder is an extreme response to stress. This disorder affects adults (and children) ou...
What’s the difference between adjustment disorder and PTSD?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a psychiatric condition that can occur when you have lived ...
How Does an MRI Help with Diagnosing Mental Disorders?