What causes mittelschmerz during menstruation?

Mittelschmerz is the pain a woman might feel when the ovary releases the egg during the menstruation cycle. Not all women feel this pain which may last anywhere from minutes to hours. The cause of the pain is unknown, but if felt, occurs on the side where the egg was released. Some scientists theorize that as the ovary stretches to allow for follicle growth before releasing the egg, you experience pain or that as the follicle ruptures the released fluid irritates your abdomen and leads to pain.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
How can I relieve mild menstrual cramps?
Keri Peterson, MDKeri Peterson, MD
Got menstrual cramps? Instead of drugs, a heating pad may be all you need, says internal medicin...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
Is It Safe to Be on Birth Control to Regulate My Period?