What affect do eating disorders have on menstruation?

Eating disorders like anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa may lead to disruption of the menstruation cycle, especially in adolescent women. Extreme weight loss and body mass index can lead to amenorrhea, the cessation of the monthly period. According to criteria used to diagnose anorexia nervosa, one of the determining factors is when a woman has no menstruation for at least three months.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
What kinds of problems do women have with their periods?
Many women experience no problems with menstruation throughout their lives but some women may have t...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
How Can I Relieve Mild Menstrual Cramps?