What other symptoms are common with menstrual cramps?

Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
The mild to intense abdominal cramping typically begins within 24-hours of the start of the woman’s period and continues for several days. Most women who suffer with cramps also experience aching in the upper thighs, along with lower back pain, bloating and abdominal distension, nausea, diarrhea, and fatigue, among other symptoms.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
When should I talk to my doctor about changes in my period?
Dr. Jessica A. Shepherd, MDDr. Jessica A. Shepherd, MD
You should talk to your doctor about changes in your period when there are consistent, long-term cha...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
What Is the Average Age When Menses Begins?