How often should I change my pad or tampon during menstruation?

You should change a pad before it becomes soaked with blood. Each woman decides for herself what works best. You should change a tampon at least every 4 to 8 hours. Make sure to use the lowest absorbency tampon needed for your flow. For example, use junior or regular tampons on the lightest day of your period. Using a super absorbency tampon on your lightest days increases your risk for toxic shock syndrome (TSS). TSS is a rare but sometimes deadly disease. TSS is caused by bacteria that can produce toxins. If your body can't fight the toxins, your immune (body defense) system reacts and causes the symptoms of TSS.

Young women may be more likely to get TSS. Using any kind of tampon puts you at greater risk for TSS than using pads. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends the following tips to help avoid tampon problems:

Follow package directions for insertion. Choose the lowest absorbency for your flow. Change your tampon at least every 4 to 8 hours. Consider switching between pads and tampons. Know the warning signs of TSS (see below). Don't use tampons between periods

If you have any of these symptoms of TSS while using tampons, take the tampon out, and contact your doctor right away: • Sudden high fever (over 102 degrees)

• Muscle aches
• Diarrhea
• Vomiting
• Dizziness and/or fainting
• Sunburn-like rash
• Sore throat
• Bloodshot eyes

This answer is based on source information from the National Womens Health Information Center.
Using the appropriate pad or tampon during menstruation, and changing it appropriately, can help you to avoid unnecessary discomfort and infection. If you bleed lightly, you can probably change every 4-8 hours, otherwise pay attention to how quickly the pad or tampon feels full. Many pads hold about 1 ounce of blood. Use lighter products when your blood flow is lighter and more absorbent products on the heavier days. Leaving a tampon in place for too long can lead to bacterial infection known as toxic shock syndrome or TSS.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
Can menstrual problems cause complications?
Complications can arise from a variety of menstrual problems. For example, women can become anemic i...
Do menstrual problems run in families?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Some menstrual problems can run in families. For example, if your sister or mother has been diagnose...
How Can I Relieve Mild Menstrual Cramps?