Can my asthma affect menstruation?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Asthma does not seem to affect menstruation so much as menstruation affects symptoms of asthma. The hormonal changes that take place during, and just before, your menstrual cycle begins can cause some women to experience more severe asthma symptoms than during other times during the month. The drop in progesterone that takes place at this time will cause inflammation and will make symptoms worse for some, but not all, women who struggle with asthma.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Painlessly surf the crimson wave. "That time of the month” can bring a lot of pesky symptoms, like breakouts, irritability, anxiety and stomach probl...
What Is PMS?
What Is PMS?
How Can I Relieve Mild Menstrual Cramps?
What Is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)?