When should I see a doctor about my forgetfulness?

Eric Pfeiffer
Psychiatry
If you have more than one instance of forgetting, you should be evaluated by a memory specialist. This could be a psychiatrist, a neurologist or an internist, but, in any case, it should be a doctor who has a strong interest and extensive experience in memory evaluations. Standard memory tests may need to be performed. In addition, your ability for delayed recall of information may need to be tested. Delayed recall, that is, recall of information that had just recently been presented, is one of the earliest signs of mild cognitive impairment.

Further evaluation may require a session with a trained neuropsychologist, an magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or a positron emission tomography (PET) scan. An MRI is a test that produces an actual image of the brain, and it can pick up early indications of brain cell loss. A PET scan is similar but even more specialized and expensive, and it can pick up changes in brain cell activity or metabolism before there is any loss of brain tissue.

If you or someone close to you is diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment, it can and should be treated by a memory specialist. Medications that have already been approved for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, such as Aricept, Exelon or Razadyne, have been shown to be of benefit to persons with minor cognitive impairment as well.

While mild cognitive impairment isn’t the same thing as Alzheimer’s disease, it can progress to Alzheimer’s disease if left undiagnosed and untreated.
The Art of Caregiving in Alzheimer's Disease

This is an A to Z Guide to the caregiving experience in Alzheimer's disease. It is easy to read, easy to follow. It is authorative, based on thirty years of experieReconce in caring for Alzheimer's...
Gayatri Devi, MD
Neurology
Forgetting is a common issue that affects everyone; but when forgetfulness becomes consistent and starts to interfere with the ability to function, you should get checked out. Watch neurologist Gayatri Devi, MD, discuss when it's time to take action.

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Could a Supplement Help Keep Your Mind Sharp?
By the year 2060, an estimated 14 million older adults in the United States will be living with dementia, which affects not only memory, but also deci...
What causes memory loss in old age?
Memory loss in old age often comes from Alzheimer's disease in combination with other forms of demen...
How can I use home appliances safely if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Here are some suggestions on improving your ability to use home appliances safely if you have me...
Walk to Improve Cholesterol and Prevent Alzheimer's Disease